Neuroscience+ Art

Neuroscience is the scientific study of the nervous system. When we look further at how the brain works we see that is extremely complicated. Perspectives: Neuroculture by Giovanni Frazzetto and Suzanne Anker state that neuroscience carries promises of revealing the underpinnings of our individuality, such as emotions, consciousness, the way we make decisions and our socio–psychological interactions. The study of how the mind works has always been so interesting to me If I wasn't a sociology major Psychology would definitely be my second choice. I found it interesting when Professor Vesna in lecture mentioned that Aristotle the father of Psychology thought the brain was just a cooling mechanism for blood and the heart did all the real thinking. To think that the brain that is such a vital part of living was though to not be as important that it was shows just how far technology has come over the years. Thanks to MRI and CT scans we are able to really see the brain without having surgery. Like mentioned in our previous lectures.



 The origin of personality is a combination of the both nature and nurture. Although the brain may look the same biologically not all human brains are the same. They express and sometimes function differently. Some people's personalities are outgoing and lively while other like to stay to themselves. According to the University of Cambridge "Linking how brain structure is related to basic personality traits is a crucial step to improving our understanding of the link between the brain morphology and particular mood, cognitive, or behavioral disorders."

Brainbow really shows the mix between neuroscience and art. Brainbow which i had never heard of before this lecture is a term used to describe the process by which individual neurons in the brain can be distinguished from neighboring neurons using fluorescent proteins.  The images of this are actually really amazing. I am not surprised that these images have won many awards in the science and art world.





I dream a lot. I feel like I tend to remember a lot of what I dream but I guess I really don't. 95% of dreams are forgotten. I didn't know that. I knew it was sometimes hard to remember every distinct detail after I woke up but I still feel like I go the gist of every dream.









references
"Personality Psychology." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 15 May 2015. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_psychology>.

Vesna, Victoria. “Conscious / Memory (Part 1).” Lecture. 13 May 2015. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DLVQIwOn7o8


Vesna, Victoria. Lecture. “Conscious / Memory (Part 2).” 13 May 2015. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xlg5wXHWZNI

Frazzetto, Giovanni, and Suzanne Anker. "Neuroculture." Nature Reviews Neuroscience 10.11 (2009): 815-21. Web.
"Personality traits linked to differences in brain structure." University of Cambridge. N.p., 25 Jan. 2017. Web. 22 May 2017.


Comments

  1. I liked your concept of connecting the art of the mind with personality, emotion, psychology, and consciousness. Your inclusion of your background in sociology and your interest in psychology was apparent in the first couple of paragraphs. Like you, I also find current studies of mapping the connections within the brain to be interesting. The Brainbow project is fascinating and I wonder how many species have been studied using this process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Math + Art

Week 1: Two cultures

Week 6 BioTech+Art