Event blog. Chemical Entanglements: Gender and Exposure

Me at the Event
I went to the Chemical Entanglement event after practice which was really challenging because I was tired. The event didn't start on time which was slightly upsetting because I ran there just to be on time. I also tried extremely hard not to wear any fragrances all day, which is definitely not easy because after you have to spray something on if you can't shower.

Brochures  handed out when first arriving. 
This was one of my less favorite events. There would be people just come up and start speaking about what they do or on working on and it kind of went right over my head. So it was hard to follow. So every now and then I would catch myself falling asleep. But it wasn't all bad it had some really good moments. 

Like mentioned before there were several speakers that went up and talked to us. David Crew was one of the speakers he worked with Epigenetics. Epigenetics is the study of potentially heritable changes in gene expression. talked to us about different epigenotypes. He mentioned Emergent epiphenotypes and molecule epigenotype. This is were the information started to really go over my head. One thing that he said that stuck out with me is "why are males more like females than females like males" This really got me to think about that. 
David Crew


Kim Fortun is a cultural anthropologist and professor of Science & Technology Studies at Rensselar Polytechnic Institute. Fortun was concerned with people living in high stress communities. I wonder if she would consider college a high stress community. She looked at how people in different  geographic environments  understood their environmental problems.  What health problems they were faced with and what disaster they were vulnerable to.  I loved the way she ended her presentation. She showed us a picture of a face but it actually spelled out liar. Which made me think back to out lecture on perceptive. Just depends on how you look at the picture. The crowd was also so amazed. 
Kim Fortun. Perceptive picture 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Math + Art

Week 1: Two cultures

Week 6 BioTech+Art