Event 1

I attended the lecture with Lina Weintraub. The title of the lecture was WHAT’S NEXT? Eco Materialism and contemporary art. To be honest I had no idea what that meant when I saw it I just knew I needed to go to an event. I didn’t think I would find it interesting and I was just praying I would stay awake for the entire lecture. When I walked in I was greeted with chips and guacamole so I quickly changed my mind on me not being interested.




Linda Weintraub started her lecture explaining how she got involved in art. She told us how she was talking to a friend about some new property she had recently got and told him “It’s beautiful.” He responded, “Is that all?”  She then went on a quest to see what else land could be. When she said they guy asked her that I thought to myself what else did he want her to say. I felt like it’s beautiful was sufficient. It wasn’t until later in her lecture I too understood what else land could be.

Weintraub's land during the winter
Weintraub showed us the Instagram page of James Bridle. It was called Dronestagram: the drone’s eye view. He found a way to report drone strikes that were not reported by the news and took a picture. I had never heard of this page before so I found it amazing how he was able to find these sites and shared them on social media. He had no direct connection with the art but it was still art. It was different.  He used technology to further his art. This is similar is the topics from week 3. How technology has had an impact on art.


I'm on the left standing next to Professor Vesna
The most interesting part of the lecture is when she went into detail about what Eco-materialism was and how she interacts with her land. She forages for food and art supplies. She was aware of the impact on the land. She learned not to just take but to give back as well. The whole time I was thinking to myself there is now what I could do that but it would be fun to do it for a week just to get away from the city. She can really connect with the land and her body. Which I would think would flow into her art. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Math + Art

Week 1: Two cultures

Week 6 BioTech+Art