Medicine+Technology+Art

I thought plastic surgery was much more recent.  it’s been popular this last couple of years. People have been getting multiple. I couldn’t imagine going under the knife hundreds of years ago. I do think of plastic surgery as a type of art. The way they can reconstruct a person's face is true art. It takes great skill.  The way medical machinery can show us these very advanced images of bones or muscles is art.  
Sports Medicine in New york
  Like Professor Vesna mentioned Technology has advanced so that we can see into the human body without cutting it open. Being an athlete I’ve has so many injuries in which I’ve had to get an MRI or X-ray.  So, medical technology has been crucial to my athletic career. It has allowed the doctors to know what was wrong with me so that they can fix it quickly. There is technology now where an athlete can be completely hooked up and every movement they make can be seen on the computer so see how their body is moving and if it is functioning properly. 


In the article, Magnetic resonance Imaging (MRI) as Mirror and portrait MRI configurations between Science and the arts Silvia Casini states that MRI not only enables scientists and artists to depict the unseen but also to provide access to the brain— “the holiest sanctum of the human

MRI anatomy 
Body.” This is big because this technology has saved so many people’s lives when doctors are looking for tumors or something like that they can see exactly where it is and how big it’s without having I having surgery. Casina talked about “shock of recognition”. Seeing the images of her body before she was like looking into a mirror. I agree when I saw the MRI for my back it was so amazing to be able to see inside of me. 













References
Casini, Silvia. "Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) as Mirror and Portrait: MRI Configurations between Science and the Arts." The Johns Hopkins University Press and the Society for Literature and Science. 2012. Article.

Dynamic neuromuscular rehabilitation. N.d. New York. Nydnrehab. Web.

Vesna, Victoria . "Medicine+Technology+Art." DESMA9. UCLA, Los Angeles. 29 Apr. 2017. Lecture.

MRI anatomy of brain. N.d. MRI Masters. Web.

Comments

  1. I feel the same way as you in regards to thinking plastic surgery is a new phenomenon. Surgery has always been dangerous and to think people were going under the knife decades ago is very scary. Many surgeries have been botched with the new technology we have today. The anatomy of the MRI is very beneficial for the reasons you listed. I really enjoyed the personal connection that you made with the material and I am glad that your back is doing better. The advance in technology and medicine is really beneficial for us all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Math + Art

Week 1: Two cultures

Week 6 BioTech+Art