Week 1: Two cultures

C.P Snow in 1959 delivered a lecture about the separation of art and science. He introduced the concept of two cultures.  C.P snow was an English author and physicist. He held important positions in the British government.  He believed that schools and universities were the problem. I am a Sociology major. Which is considered north campus (arts and humanities). As much as I would like to say I want nothing to do with south campus (math and science) I believe my major is influenced by the two cultures regardless. Sociology is the study of human society and social problems. Therefore, is fall as north campus. north campus. I still use what I learned in stats for my sociology classes today. No side of campus is better than the other. They both have things to offer. C.P Snow brings up how he wanted to first call his lecture rich and poor and how to understand both cultures would make things better. Just like each side of Campus has something to offer. The world cannot function without one.
I as I get further into my major I realize just how much my major is influenced by the two cultures. Currently, in Sociology 20 I am learning how to make research questions and analyzes data. One of my major requirement was statistic 10, which is a north campus. I still use what I learned in stats for my sociology classes today.
I am an athlete on the UCLA track and field team.
Track. HAYS DAILY NEWS https://tmp-m.org/pfeiferhess-track/ 
I think most athletes try to stay as far as possible from south campus. With our demanding schedules, it’s hard to major in math and sciences and be successful. Not impossible be it's extremely challenging.  Being an athlete we must adapt to two cultures on campus. Being a student and being an athlete. Both are very hard and can be extremely demanding. In Toward a Third Culture: Being in between by Victoria Vesna "The Two Cultures: A Second Look." In that essay, he suggested that a new "Third Culture" would emerge and close the gap between literary intellectuals and scientists” I believe that this is true that we are started to see a merge in the two cultures. When you look at technology today and all the amazing things it can do. To be able to program computers to solve very lengthy and difficult problems in a matter of seconds to help sociologist read data quickly. This is the merge of both.
REFERENCES
Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.” Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. Web.

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. 

Meekhof, Erin. Science/Art/Wonder. Digital image. N.p., n.d. We<http://www.erinmeekhof.com/scienceartwonder/>.

Snow, C.P. The Two Cultures: And a Second Look. N.p.: n.p., 1963. Print.





Comments

  1. It is quite appealing to me that you explained how stats was embedded in your sociology major, and how your two identities mixed together and played roles in your life (this is novel, since most people are just talking about the connection between arts and science). I like the way you briefly introduced the classes you take, which is really convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You give a very fresh perspective to the meaning of merging cultures. The influence and overlap of both cultures in daily life or in any major is seen everywhere. I am a Civil Engineering major, and I never thought writing would be an important part of any class I took. This quarter I am taking an Engineering Ethics class, and I am required to write critically thought out papers. I strongly agree with your point that one (art) cannot function without the other (science), and that the world needs both in order to have some kind of balance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Math + Art

Week 6 BioTech+Art